How Visiting Angels Annapolis Helps Seniors Stay Connected
Here at Visiting Angels Annapolis, we approach in-home care services for seniors in Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Millersville, Pasadena, Crownsville, Arnold and surrounding areas in Northern Anne Arundel County, MD, with a holistic mindset. We not only believe in meeting the needs of our clients physically, we also believe that providing support for their social well-being is necessary for their overall well-being.
Our holistic approach not only focuses on the client's physical well-being, but their social and emotional needs, as well. As such, we believe that the client should stay connected to their social circle and family via modern technology with the help of their caregiver — hence our Social Care program.
Studies on the Elderly and Social Engagement
- In a study in 2008 conducted by Lee et al., it was shown that opportunities for social engagement and participation by the elderly are a crucial component in promoting their well-being and good health.
- Improving the working memory of the older adult is possible by just helping them use Facebook. In fact, in a study by the University of Arizona showed a 25 percent improvement of mental updating skills of seniors who use Facebook.
- As much as a 20 percent reduction of depression in older adults just by surfing the internet.*
- As measured by brain stimulation, breathing rates and pupil dilation, a positive experience was felt by seniors who visit Facebook and/or other social networking sites.**
How Can Visiting Angels Annapolis Help Seniors in Anne Arundel County Stay Connected with Loved Ones?
The following in-home care services are part of the Social Care program from Visiting Angels Annapolis. Depending on the needs and wants of the elderly client, our caregivers can help with:
- We can teach our clients how to use FaceTime or Skype. Maybe send e-mails or mobile text messages—no matter the type of technology they have.
- We will teach them how to use a search engine, how to look for information that they need, how to shop online, and even how to create online profiles and logging in.
- We will also teach them about opening an account on Facebook, and how to maintain one and use one in order to connect with families and friends.
To learn more about how our in-home care services can help your loved one stay connected, contact our Millersville, MD, office at 410-587-2316.
* Washington, D.C. based Phoenix Center
** Journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
Serving Northern Anne Arundel County in Maryland, including Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Millersville, Pasadena, Crownsville, Arnold and Severna Park
Visiting Angels ANNAPOLIS, MD8338 Veterans Hwy #103A
Millersville, MD 21108